Friday, September 26, 2014

Makeup Forever Smokey Extravagant Mascara

Yay for free samples from Sephora! I got this as part of a birthday gift, and I am always excited to try a new mascara, although also tentative, as I still haven't found anything that works better for me than my current HG mascara; Covergirl's LashBlast Volume.

Here is the mascara itself:
Makeup Forever Smokey Extravagant Mascara

At first I was a little taken aback by the pine-cone shaped brush, but as I swept on the first coat, I found that I loved having the small end to reach all my little lashes with, something I wish my LashBlast would have. 

Here is one coat on one eye, with bare and curled lashes on the other:




The formula of this mascara seems sort of gel-based, it glides on very nicely. As you can see in the photos, it does clump my lashes together somewhat. Continuing on to a second coat, I noticed that this does better if you let it dry slightly in between coats, otherwise it gets goopy and I get "spike" lashes. Not a fan! 

With two coats on one eye, bare and curled lashes on the other:





I had to take an earring to my lashes when I did my other eye, because I didn't give it any time between coats. But it turned out okay, and overall, I was very pleased with the finished look. This mascara responded really well to curling, after I had let it set, it still remained flexible enough to reset the curl with my fingers by pressing my lashes up.

Here it is on both eyes:




At the end of the day, I had a few tiny flakes, and some smudging under my lower lashes. Since I dance for at least two hours almost every weekday, it's understandable that a non-waterproof mascara (that is easy to remove with water and cleanser) would smudge given how much I sweat, but my LashBlast volume is even easier to remove, and yet I never have flaking or smudging with it. 

The Bottom Line:
It is a good mascara; I loved the brush shape, and the resulting flexible, curled lashes, but for $24, this mascara doesn't do anything amazing that makes it worth paying for over my $7 LashBlast. It was fun to try, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment